Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Too sleepy for Fat Tuesday.

I weighed in this morning...no picture because I had left my phone downstairs and was way too lazy to go get it.  Its because I was soooo tired.  I started watching this season of the Biggest Loser on DVR a few days ago and last night was like a BL Binge-a-thon.  It was ridiculous.  I was up until almost 3 AM watching this show...and thats after being up two nights ago until 4AM watching the show...

The good news is I'm all caught up on the show. *insert sarcasm*

The bad news is that my children get up between 6-7AM and theat means I do to...and when I'm lacking sleep I'm ALWAYS fatter.

Truth.

So I did a little research and sure enough....not enough sleep will make you FATTER.

Check out this article here.

So first, the later you stay up the more you eat.  They say about 6% more calories than the other boring old people that hit the hay by 9PM...

Second...lack of sleep actually alters your fat cells.  They become less sensitive to insulin.  That was super interesting to me.  Being a type 2 diabetic...I wonder if my night owl tendencies had much to do with eventually coming to that diagnosis!

Finally...lack of sleep ages your fat cells approximately 20 years.  Also making them less efficient/effective and lowering your metabolism.

So...is it any wonder that I weighed in this AM at 201.  Making me really grumpy and irritated that there was a 2 on that scale. 

So I'm hitting the hay early tonight and I'm going to do a Fat Wednesday weigh in tomorrow AM and see where it brings me back to.

And in the meantime I'm going to practice the art of being old and boring and go to bed EARLY for the next week to see if it helps me lose weight.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....

3 comments:

  1. Ok...I'm glad I am not the only one. I got sucked into a Biggest Loser Australia marathon one time and could NOT stop. Seriously...I had to see them climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge!! Just like Lap Band Gal did a few months ago.

    I'm going to read that article ASAP. John is a Type 2 diabetic and gets very little sleep. It worries the hell out of me. I'm going to make him read it too.

    Don't get too down about the 2 in front again. It's only temporary. You have done so great and like you say...it's all a crazy ride. Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get I couldn't find your email to reply about the soup recipe. I want to say that it makes about 8 ladles. Not sure what that equates to. Maybe 8 chips give or take? I always some to my coworker so it gets shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, this is good to know about the hours of sleep bit--thanks!

    Do you ever do Q & A posts on your blog? If so, I have a "Q" for you:

    When you began this journey, did you just insert it into your life-as-usual, or did you have to pull any irons from the fire to make it work? I am trying to jump-start my own journey to weight loss, but everything is so hectic around here that I wonder, should I be dropping out of some of my night classes, cutting back on work hours, or otherwise trimming my schedule to make room for fitness and healthy meal prep, or were you able to find the time for it no matter what once it became a priority for you???

    ReplyDelete