So its an exercise in will for me today. My head hunger craves carbohydrates...comfort food. So instead I ate watermelon. And because sometimes watermelon gets a bad rap for being a sugary fruit...I looked it up to see what its really all about.
- Watermelon averages 40% more of the cancer-fighter lycopene per serving than tomatoes.
- A 1-cup serving of watermelon also provides 10% of the daily value for vitamin A, 12% of the daily value for vitamin C, along with vitamin B6, beta carotene , thiamin and potassium.
- 1 cup (balled watermelon) = 46 calories.
- Watermelon is a natural Viagra. Yup...that's right...Viagra. Note to self...beware of feeding this to your man when you aren't in the mood for a little nooky!
- It helps heal joint inflammation
- 92% water which means it a natural diuretic and helps keep kidney stones from forming.
- It helps reduce high blood pressure.
- Helps regulate blood sugar levels by helping with insulin secretion.
As a kid the small town I grew up in we had an annual corn and watermelon feed. Literally hundreds of ears of corn cooked up in the city park and hundreds of watermelons cut into pieces for us to eat to our heart's content.
Seed spitting contests as a kid were always a highlight of watermelon eating...
And, how many of you had your mom tell you that if you swallowed watermelon seed then you'd have watermelon grow out of your ears?
Seriously...there is just nothing like watermelon juice running down your chin on a hot summer's day...
And now are you all in a hammock, soaking in the summer sun with a delicious wedge of watermelon in hand?