Sunday, April 28, 2013

I'm now officially lapbanded!

Wednesday, April 24th at 9:15 I walked into the hospital and got ready for surgery.  By 11:30AM I was given my general anesthesia and by 1PM I was waking up in the ICU. 

At 3:30 I was taken in for an upper GI test and it all looked good.  Doctor decided to keep me overnight because I was having a hard time taking deep breaths.  When I got done with the upper GI I walked around the ward 3 times and then felt absolutely exhausted.  I crashed until about 10PM.

I woke up at 10PM and felt great.  Surprisingly great.  Like there was no way I'd just had surgery that day.  I decided to go for another walk...and after 5 times around the ward one of the nurses told me if I went 8 times I'd have walked a mile..  So I did! 

They gave me big thumbs up.  Said I was one of the first and only bariatric patients they hadn't had to force up and out of bed.  They gave me good encouragement whih made me feel good about the progress I had made so far.

It seemed like every nurse I talked to had a family member or knew somebody that had failed at bariatric surgery.  They didn't eat right, didn't exercise, didn't take multivitamins...it was awful to hear their stories.  I know they were trying to motivate me, but at the same time I decided that I needed a little different motivation...so I spent some time researching before and after photos and people who DID do what they were supposed to do and I felt much better about my decision.  Yes, there are complications that can happen, leaky bands, erosion, etc., but the vast majority do succeed and lose the weight and learn how to eat healthy and start exercising.

Thats my hope.  This is my goal.  Eat right.  Exercise.  Live healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment